Thursday, November 1, 2012

"What if We Were Real" by Mandisa

     I want to start this with the lyrics to "What if We Were Real" by Mandisa.

I'm tired of saying everything
I feel like I'm supposed to say
I'm tired of smiling all the time
I want to throw the mask away
Sometimes you just have a bad day
Sometimes you just want to scream
Tell me I'm not the only one
Tell me that you feel just like me

We keep trying to make it look so nice
And we keep hiding what's going on inside
But what if I share my brokenness
What if you share how you feel
And what if we weren't afraid of this crazy mess
What if we were real

I'm over hiding my tears
I think I'm gonna let them go
I'm over acting so strong
When I'm not even in control
We make it so complicated
But why does it have to be
Why can't we open our hearts and let everybody see
We'd think a little less of ourselves
We'd care about someone else
'Cause we'd know just how they feel
Maybe we could let someone love us
Maybe we'd a little more like Jesus
Why can't we learn to be real

 
     I could almost leave this whole post as just those lyrics. They are so incredibly true. I want to go over each verse, and talk about what I think they mean and what we can do in our lives in relation to them.

I'm tired of saying everything I feel like I'm supposed to say
I'm tired of smiling all the time, I want to throw my mask away
    
     I have so much difficulty with the first line. I can be so hypocritical sometimes. If I have an opinion that is different than someone elses, sometimes I keep it quiet because I feel like I will be judged. If someone asks me "Do you always believe God is real?" I would say "Of course! I know in my heart, always, that no matter what, God is real and is there for me." That really isn't the truth. I won't lie, I struggle all the time with wondering if God even exists. But I don't say it, because it isn't 'what I'm supposed to say.' The second line, I feel like that, too! I have had some pretty hard stuff happen to me in the past months, but I go to school every day, smiling like nothing happened. Sometimes, I had a terrible night the day before, but I don't tell my friends anything. I smile all the time, and it feels like such a mask.

Sometimes you just have a bad day,
Sometimes you just want to scream,
Tell me I'm not the only one
Tell me you feel just like me.
     
     Sometimes it does feel like I am the only one who doesn't have everything together, and I just want someone to tell me that they feel like that, too.

We keep trying to make it look so nice
And we keep hiding what's going on inside
But what if I share my brokenness
What if you share how you feel
And what if we weren't afraid of this crazy mess
What if we were real

    
      There is a huge part of me that really longs for deep talks, and knowing that I am not alone. There is a certain atmosphere that my peers take, that makes it seem like I am the only one who isn't happy all the time. I think there is an unexplainable bond that you create with a person when you share how you really feel. Whenever I get that feeling, like I am really not alone in some of the things I think and feel, it is so comforting. And the more we are real with each other, the more that sort of thing happens.

I'm over hiding my tears
I think I'm gonna let them go
I'm over acting so strong
When I'm not even in control
We make it so complicated
But why does it have to be
Why can't we open our hearts and let everybody see

    
     This year, I have put on a very strong shell, on the whole. I tell people that I am okay, that I don't need help. But a lot of times when I say those things, I am literally on the verge of tears. I have gotton so good at hiding my pain, that now when it is okay to show it, it is hard. I don't know why I do it, like this says. I don't know why I can't just let people see that I am broken, hurting, and confused.

We'd think a little less of ourselves,
We'd care about somebody else
'Cause we know just how they feel,
Maybe we would let someone love us
Maybe we'd be a little more like Jesus,
Why can't we learn to be real?
    
     I realize that in the parts before this, I have been going for being real in a totally self-centered way. I don't necessarily mean that that is bad, but there is the whole other layer that these lyrics put out there. If we all shared how we really feel with everyone, we would have more compassion for them. If we heard someone else's stuggles, we would love them more fully. I know I would gain respect for someone, if they weren't afraid to tell people their brokenness.

      And that last part, about being like Jesus- that really convicted me. If you aren't convinced that if is better to be real from anything else, let this be it. If we told everyone how we felt, and let them tell us, we would be more like Jesus. This world is a mess, but by sharing our sin and guilt and sadness, we are making it more beautiful. We really are being more like Jesus.

Grace

4 comments:

  1. Grace, this is really, truly incredible. I love and value our friendship, and I want you to know that I relate so much to this post. You are NOT alone in this feeling, and I want you to know my heart is ALWAYS, no matter what, open to you.

    Love you girl,
    Laura M. Hough

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, this is really good stuff. It is so hard to take our masks off and share what our hearts are really feeling with those we love. Yet, like you've said, it's so healthy to do so. I am learning right alongside you, to be "where I'm at" and not try to pretend that I'm feeling something that I'm not. Learning to trust our God in the midst of so much pain is the theme for this year, isn't it? I am amazed that through so much pain, He is bringing about so much beauty. And you are part of this beauty. In your realness, your honesty, your willingness to be "where you are" - this is TRUE beauty. I love you so much.
    xoxo,
    Mrs. Hough

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know how to put my thoughts about this song into words. The lyrics are just sooo true and that really comforts me. You said you feel a connection with people when you share deeper things. I feel the same way and agree that the only way to get that connection is to open up and be real. Thanks for getting the word out. I love you!
    Mags

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Grace. I confess I hadn't checked the blog for a while. It's not because I don't think of you because I do every day, many times throughout the day. I lost the web address from my drop down menu but found it again in a text from you.

    I can really relate to what you wrote. I hope you know that you can always throw your mask aside with me, and just be you, whatever you are feeling at that time. You probably already know all of this, but I needed to remind you that you are so very precious to me and I want you to be your real self with me. I am so proud of you, and am so often in awe of you. I know you hear that, and might feel you have to live up to everyone feeling that way about you. These feelings I have about you will not change about you if sometimes you want to cry and yell in a heap, or express yourself however you want.

    I really love what Mrs. Hough said, too. Ditto that! I love you, Grace. Keep on writing!
    AK

    ReplyDelete