Thursday, November 1, 2012

Why Fit In when You Were Born to Stand Out?


     First of all, I am terribly sorry for not putting a post up in the last couple of weeks. Even though I am fairly confident there aren't many people waiting restlessly at their computers, I still feel bad. I have been incredibly busy. Stuff just keeps on happening, and sometimes I seem like I'm falling behind everything. So, I haven't had much free time. But here I am, and I am very happy to be writing. Now let the actual post begin. :)


 
    That famous quote, by Dr. Suess, was the inspiration for this post. There isn't really any interpretation to it, it is simple and to the point. That idea, standing out, isn't quite as blatently related to Christianity as all of my others, but I think it still ties in awesomely to Christian principles.
    
     A few things have brought this idea to my mind in the past week:
    
     One, I was watching the chick flick Aquamarine last night, and remember this one moment. They are in a mall, looking over all the levels of escalators. Aquamarine, who, doesn't have a great sense of what is socially acceptable, yells "HELLO!!!!" down to all the people walking around, and they all look up at her. Her friends look at her like she's crazy, and she says "Why go through life unnoticed?"
    
     Two, I have been talking to friends and family members who have that mindset recently. I am not naturally that type of person. I am not shy, but I am also not particularly outgoing either. But I have some people in life that are just the opposite. They believe that it's okay to stand out. It's okay to be noticed. In fact, it makes life more fun!
    
     This is why I think it is a heart issue to stand out. God created us beautifully and perfectly. We are his masterpiece. Sure, we aren't perfect yet, but we will be. I think by trying to be invisible, no different than anyone else, it is kind of like telling God that he didn't make us special. Plus, you are just trying to fool yourself. We all know that we are all different, and that's the way it should be. Why hide it?
   
      I think that by standing out from the crowd, you can gain self-confidence, and really be more secure in your image. A lot of people try to hide who they really are, and their own opinions, because it isn't what everybody else thinks or acts. You should be proud of that! God made us to stand out, and I know I need help from Him to get out of the rut of blending in the crowd.

Grace
P.S. If you are interested in standing out, I reccomend the book Stargirl. It is written from a secular viewpoint, but it displays a lot of Biblical truths, and is a really great thinking book.

3 comments:

  1. hey grace,
    I just wanted to let you know that I love this post. I know that most people like me try to be outgoing but end up just being thought of as slightly more weird than most people. this is something I've been working on for a while and I'm glad you wrote about it.
    Thanks, love Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my major struggles. I want to stand out for Christ so much, but it's so hard. I love this post and it comforts me to be reminded there are others who are on the same page as me. I love ya!
    Mags

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this post, Grace! I am going to print it out for Hannah and Sam. You're amazing. Love, AK

    ReplyDelete