Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Keep Perspective

Hi everybody! These last couple of days I have been getting lots more pageviews- I think that it is because I told some friends and family about this blog; something I hadn't done yet. I was a little nervous to tell people I actually knew about it, but I'm glad I did. If I had continued writing without actually telling people and hoping that strangers stumble across it, it wouldn't have been shown to nearly as many people. Also, if my goal is to evangelize, how can I do that without sharing? Bottom line: I'm glad a told a few people about it, and I hope more people see it now.

Today I want to talk about something that brings me immense comfort- perspective. I want to start off my devotion. I've included my devotion book in this blog before, because I just think it is so amazing. So here is my devotion's advice on perspective. Itis written as though Jesus is speaking to you:
I am much more 'real' than this world. This world- and all the things in it- will someday be gone. But I am forever. Once you compare things to Forever, it becomes much easier to shake off today's hurts and disappointments.
Years from now, when you're starting your career, it won't matter that you made a bad grade on a test. But it will matter that you kept trying in spite of that bad grade. Twenty or thirty years from now, when you're playing with your own children, it won't matter that you didn't make the team. But it will matter that you kept a happy heart and cheered on those who did. And an eternity from now, nothing on this life will matter- except that you loved me and loved other people with My love.
Don't be shaken by the troubles of this world. One day they will be gone, and I will take you home with me Forever. 
 
Those words, and that comfort, is so beautiful. Knowing that you will look back on your problems and they won't matter anymore it one of the best things to keep in mind in a crisis. We get so incredibly caught up in everyday struggles, that it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. But as it says in the devotion, in Heaven, nothing here will matter except for your love for Christ and others.

Whenever I get upset because I had to turn in an assignment late, or I messed up my huge presentation, I just remember that it won't matter soon. Compared to the forever that we will live in Heaven, this life will seem like it went by in a second. When we remember how we messed up in this life, we won't care. We won't be mad, or sad, or disappointed about it anymore. All we will care about is how incredibly happy we are in Heaven, with Jesus.

The next time you mess up, or you do something and everything seems to fall apart, keep perspective. Remember that weeks or months from now, it won't matter. We can filter our lives through the perspective of Heaven, and everything will be easier to handle.

Grace


 
 

5 comments:

  1. Hey people! Keep commenting, please! I love to hear feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Jesus Calling as my devotional too - but yours looks like it's written for a teen - is there a teen version? I would love to get that for Laura if there is!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is! It is actually called Jesus Calling for Kids, but I have found it is just as, or even more appropriate for teens. I love it! I tried the normal Jesus Calling, but I relate to this one much more.

      Delete
  3. These are great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We read that devotion the other night. What amazing perspective it gives! Gaining a more eternal perspective is something I've been working on lately. I had no real concept of it at your age. Your maturity astounds me. God is doing amazing things through you!

    ReplyDelete