Monday, September 10, 2012

Thankfulness

First of all, I want to say I am sorry I didn't publish a post earlier. I will continue to try to do them every week, but it got to almost two. I promise I will really try to keep going. Also, I tried the time with God every morning idea, and while I can't say I kept up with it perfectly, when I did, it was amazing. It changed the tone of my whole day- I can't tell you how awesome that is.

Onto my topic today- thankfulness. It is one of the most simple instructions of God, but seems to be one of the hardest to carry out. We know we should be thankful, but there is always a nagging voice, saying "God didn't take care of that. I've been better than all the people around me, but He gave them more than he gave me." And I think we sincerely believe that. But that is such a skewed perspective.

Think about this. God created a world for His glory, where He could make creatures in His own image, and they could worship him while he provided them with beautiful lives. He gave the first humans, Adam and Eve everything they could ever want, gave them a spectacular life. Adam and Eve had that. But, God gave one instruction. That they could eat from any of the fruit trees in the garden, except for one. They were not to eat from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. And that's the one thing they did. 

If I was God, I would've probably said "Whatever. This whole human thing didn't work out. I'll just go back to my perfect life in Heaven and be done with it." But that couldn't be farther from what God did. He fully realized that we had done the one simple thing he told us not to- so he sent his only child to get murdered in a horribly painful and shameful way so we could get off the hook. He made a way for us, who do the one thing he hates more than anything every single day, to come live with Him when we die. That is INCREDIBLE. How could we feel anything but thankful?

How many times have you talked to God this week, without asking for a single thing? Simply giving glory to His name? I haven't once. And I know for myself that God deserves better than that, for all He has done. 

1 Thessalonians 5:17 ESV- Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.  
Psalm 136:1 ESV- Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.

Grace

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder to spend time just praising him and thanking him.

    ReplyDelete